Route Changes Happen More Often Than You Think

Route Changes Happen More Often Than You Think
Featured image credit : Peshkova/

Routes change more frequently than most businesses expect.

Let’s say you make 100 stops every week, which is about 400 stops per month, 1,200 stops per quarter. Let’s also say that you gain one customer and lose another one week. That’s the kind of customer turnover most delivery companies deal with, and it doesn’t sound like much, does it?

It might not sound like much when you only look at the 2 route changes per week, but at that rate, you have 8 route changes per month and 24 per quarter.

In other words, every quarter you have to completely redo 25% of your routes, and you also have to find a way to integrate those route changes as best you can with the other 75% of your routes. All this planning takes a long, long time, even if you only have to do it every quarter.

RELATED: 4 Reasons Why You Need a Route Scheduling Software Even If You Think Your Routes Don’t Change

With Route4Me’s routing optimization software, this process is automated, so it won’t really take you any time at all.

That’s not the only advantage that our route scheduling software provides. The problem with manual route planning, other than the enormous amount of time it takes, is that it’s prone to human error.

When routes are planned manually, you have to ensure that each new planned route is accurate, one by one. Then, you have to make sure your drivers are aware of all these changes. Drivers will have to memorize every new routes, and they’ll also have to figure out to adapt to traffic and construction delays.

There’s a learning curve involved here – some mistakes are sure to be made when route dispatchers and delivery drivers are getting used to new routes. While some mess-ups are inevitable, keep in mind that every mistake you make will delay packages, which will make your customers less satisfied with your service, which in turn will damage your reputation and your earning potential.

RELATED: The Costly Risks of Inaccurate Route Planning

Why waste time and lose money with manual route planning? With our vehicle route planning software, you can plan routes in 30 seconds or less with 100% accuracy.

Our software is always up to date, so you never need to worry about outdated roads messing up your routes again. You don’t even need to feed in new data – everything updates automatically. 

Other benefits of our fleet route planning software include:

  • No micromanagement required
  • The ability to track your drivers in real-time
  • The ability to plan your routes at the last minute
  • Happier drivers, as it’s easier for them to avoid annoying delays
  • Happier customers, as they get their packages faster

Have any questions about our fleet routing software? Are you wondering how a route planner app solves the vehicle route problem and traveling salesman problem? Let us know in the comments section below. 

Want To See For Yourself How Route4Me Can Boost Your Profits?

Whether you want to slash the time it takes you to plan routes for your drivers, increase the number of stops they can make, or keep your customers satisfied knowing that your drivers show up on time… Route4Me helps you achieve that!

Click Here To Test Drive It! [FREE TRIAL]

About author: Rahul Dasgupta

Rahul Dasgupta is a content writer with over 20 years of work experience. He holds a master’s degree in computer science and has written thousands of blog posts on route planning and scheduling, making it easy for readers to learn about these complex topics. Rahul enjoys playing tennis in his spare time and loves cuddling with his pet labrador Shinu. Rahul is a big fan of Roger Federer, Messi, and Bill Gates - he admires their drive to be the best at what they do and their philanthropic efforts.


About Route4Me

Route4Me has over 40,000 customers globally. Route4Me's Android and iPhone mobile apps have been downloaded over 2 million times since 2009. Extremely easy-to-use, Route4Me's apps create optimized routes, synchronize routes to mobile devices, enable communication with drivers and customers, offer turn-by-turn directions, delivery confirmation, and more. Behind the scenes, Route4Me's operational optimization platform combines high-performance algorithms with data science, machine learning, and big data to plan, optimize, and analyze routes of almost any size in real-time.